Sugared cranberries always signal the start of the festive holiday season for me. They are super easy to make and add that wonderful sparkle to your cakes, cocktails and holiday table-scapes. I used mine this year as decoration for a chocolate and caramel cake I created for a cafe here in Paris and I loved the effect. Check out the recipe below...
- 1 cup of fresh cranberries
- 1/2 cup of caster sugar
- 1/2 cup of water
- In a small sauce pot stir the water and sugar to combine. Bring to a simmer over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and stir in your cranberries until evenly coated. Cover and let them steep for about 10 minutes.
- Strain the cranberries over a bowl to collect the syrup. Place cranberries on a piece of parchment paper atop your cooling rack. Allow to dry for about 30 minutes.
- Place 3/4 cup of caster sugar into a shallow bowl. Roll each cranberry in the caster sugar to coat evenly. They are now ready to help your holiday cakes shine!
* I like to leave some cranberries uncoated for the contrast in color and texture.